Ambergris Caye and San Pedro Activities
With over 20 miles of coral-sand coast line within sight of the world's second largest barrier reef, Ambergris Caye offers a multitude of ways to enjoy the island playground and explore the underwater gardens just offshore.
Get up close and personal with colorful marine creatures on a diving or snorkelling adventure; take to the seas on a kayak, paddle board, or private sail boat; score a grand slam on a fishing trip; explore the island by bicycle; stroll along the beach and stop in at a beach bar for a tropical drink; enjoy world class dining and fresh seafood at one of the fantastic local restaurants; treat yourself to a massage on the beach; lounge by the pool; or simply slow down. Ambergris Caye is the perfect place to explore the sea and let the island breeze blow your worries away.
SabreWing Travel's Top Picks for Ambergris Caye Activities
- Dive or snorkel with an array of fish, sea turtles, sharks and rays at the Hol Chan Marine Reserve
- Swim with nurse sharks and southern sting rays Shark Ray Alley
- Get up close and personal with the reef ecosystem on a dive trip
- Explore the Bacalar Chico Marine Reserve on a snorkelling tour
- Visit Mexico Rocks for diving or snorkelling and enjoy a beach bar-b-q
- Take a manatee watching tour to Swallow Caye
- Journey outside the reed to dive the Blue Hole, Lighthouse Reef, or Turneffe Atoll
- Snorkel in front of your resort and discover the marine life right near the shore, hiding under the docks
On the Surface:
- Grab a kayak or paddle board and glide out over the smooth turquoise seas
- Take a romantic sunset cruise on a sail boat
- Go fishing on the reef to catch your lunch and enjoy a beach barbecue
- Schedule a charter to go fishing with the pros and score a grand slam
- Cool off with a dip in the turquoise Caribbean from the beach or from the pier
- Learn how to sail in the tranquil water inside the reef
- Take a day trip to Caye Caulker, Ambergris Caye's laid back little sister to the south, where the motto is "Go Slow"
- Try your hand and paragliding, parasailing, or kite surfing!
On the Shore:
- Take a stroll along the white coral-sand shore, find a hammock under a coconut palm and simply bask in picturesque setting
- Enjoy the lively island scene in San Pedro town at a bar, on the streets, and all along the beach
- Explore northern Ambergris by bicycle or golf cart rental
- Relax by the pool with a view of the reef and soak up some vitamin sea
- Enjoy a cool drink and catch a live band at a fun over-the water beach bar, or while you play some beach games on the shore
- Sample the freshest seafood from the best assortment of gourmet restaurants in the country
- Indulge yourself in a massage or spa treatment on the beach